I Want My Own Brand In The Corporate World


    I wore ripped jeans to his office. I was exactly early  at 7:00am. But his office has not resumed work by then. I had to wait for three straight hours in photocopy cafe. Finally he arrived, I went to his office, his secretary stopped me we can't attend to you,  she said. 
 "Why "  I was bit shocked. 

 "Your dressing".
I didn't know what to say. But I turned to look at the way she was dressed, her skirts were long so were her  sleeves long. I hurried out of the office, I was angry but needed to get my files signed. I came back, wearing long skirts before I was attended to. 

 Why do we tell women how to dress?  Or appear in their style of dressing?  A few days after that horrible incident, I had a meeting which I made up of mind to dress up in a jean skirt with a slit at the front, I wanted to be in touch with my sexuality. 

In the corporate world , there are too much rules that compels the way women should dress up.  No pearls, your skirts below your knees, your sleeves long. Why? Because we feel the way a woman dresses pulls a threat to men in her work office. It's okay for a man to express him in the way he dresses in his suits, but a woman can't, express her sexuality or be herself, she has to be suited in ugly suits, her standards are men,  what about her own standards?  

 She is woman. She has her own look. Her own style. Her own charisma. Her own brand of charm!!!  And it is way it should be. We don't want to be compelled to be dressed in your own way. Oh please, I know we will say  that is the way it has been in the corporate world, but it won't hurt if our rules are adjusted to suit the way we all dress  
I can remember a friend, he loves to wear shorts, and cut his hair a certain way. But when he has appointments with the big dogs in business, he suits up and cut his hair in an 'appropriate' way. We laugh at this things, and says things like he can't wait to be fully established to dress his own way.
As I  a woman don't want rules on how to dress up, appear or look because of standards. 
 

Comments

Popular Posts