What emotional bullying can do.




   The sterotypes girls are subjected to are mostly concerned with their self image and of course their body.

  When I was in Secondary school I was the girl with the match stick legs,long neck  and miserable lanky body structure.   I  was teased for my size , they told me how small I was to be in Secondary school and sickly - looking for being very skinny.

  I struggled with my self-esteem I wanted to be just like  the curvy girls in class the boys droned on. I started eating a lot but still was skinny no matter how heavily I snacked. It made very shy and quiet and I became bookish always preferring books to people (I was anti-social).

  This is the same stuff other girls go through not just for being miserably skinny but fat too.

  We have conditioned how a girl should look to be acceptable and have guys swarming over her. Be slim, not too slim but with fleshy buttocks and round breasts,  be curvy not fat with overly big breasts and buttocks.   Just be some prefect model.

  Because we teach our boys what a ideal woman should look like, we see this bullying comes from  them when she looks unacceptable to the set standards.

   Like Ada who does not feel good about her body because she is fat. In her class, the boys talk about how fat and unattractive she is.  That constant bullying can make you depressed and feel worthless. She stopped doing well in school yet the  school authorities of Technical High School left the issue unattended even when she's been called names like 'fat cow, biggie and big fool.'

   It made her want to lose weight and starve herself. What emotional bullying can do. Lose your self esteem and confidence. Become depressed.  You feel crazy unstable . You feel not good enough. You become anti-social.
 
  Emotional bullying is more dangerous than physical bullying it crashes one's self image.

   This is an issue we need to address in our schools. And teach our boys to be better.

Comments

Popular Posts